Tuesday, June 12, 2007

NC School District

I had an interesting time today, trying to find out what the school boundaries are out here. We were planning on moving to a larger city before school started next year, but the kids caught wind of that plan and they were devastated. At first I was not caring about their two cents, but then I found the oldest crying about it. I took a second look at the situation and realized that all three kids have had the best year academically that they have ever had. They also did well socially. The town we live in is just very small and there is no mall for me to throw all of my money away. Soooo.. to make a long story short we decided that we would just stay put and find a place to live in the school district. Mind you I have moved twice this year and we now live on the second floor. We live in the "wrong" school area. I decided that I would look for a new place to rent. Well, I cannot just drive around and look for a place unless I know the boundaries for this said school. I called the school district and talked to five different people. The first lady passed me off to a lady that said she worked in the schools themselves and they had a map of the boundaries. My school said they do not have said map. She then passed me to transportation, because they have to have a map?! The lady in transportation said they did not have a map, but I could find a few houses and call her back with the address and she would look them up to see if they were in the school boundary. Now, this idea seems very lame to me. Why would I want to drive around and look at houses that I could maybe live in and then call and bug this lady constantly with new addresses? So, I told her nicely that I couldn't believe that no map existed. She then passed me off to another lady who would "know" if said map exists. This lady said they could not print out maps for everyone, because everyone would be coming down to get one. Instead everyone should call constantly when they found a house that "might " be in the schools boundaries. This make no sense to me. Then she passed me off to her supervisor and I tried to say as nicely as possible that it was nuts for me to drive around aimlessly and then call to see if the house I am looking at was in the school boundaries. He finally broke down and conceded that they do in fact have a map and I could come down to the district office and check it out. Of course I need to call first and see if someone is there because everyone has vacations to attend to in the next three weeks. All this just so the kids can go to the "good" school in town. I can't wait to go down and look at the map. It probably doesn't exist. Knowing my luck their pet raccoon will have eaten the only map they have right before I get to the office. Why oh why must everything be a trial for me???

7 comments:

Sally said...

What a mess! But, I agree...you're totally right, they should just give you a copy.

Hey, I heard on the radio yesterday that experts voted some beach in NC as the number 1 in the country -- above Hawaii and Florida! I can't remember what it's called though.

Lost In NC said...

We leave for a week at the beach on the 23rd!! I can't wait. I have never been to the beach on the east coast. We are going to surf city. It is supposed to be a family beach. Do you think I'm too old to wear a two piece?

Sally said...

No, you're not too old! I'm too white and too chicken, but you go for it!

Didn't you see the pictures of Brittany Spears in a 2-piece?? I KNOW I look better than her! =)

Elyce said...

I think I would've had to kill someone if all that happened to me! Man alive! Since I have no blog on which to vent, I will tell you now that 2 days ago I went to pick Olivia up from her drama class at BHS, and summer school was getting out at the same time. The entire campus was instantly flooded with lazy, slow-walkin' teenagers that sauntered right out into traffic! Coupled with jack-ass, rude, teenage drivers, one of which who pulled right out in front of me, only narrowly missing my truck because I slammed on my brakes. When I threw my hands up in the air to gesture "What the hell??" HE flipped ME off!! I wondered if we were that bad when we were in high school and how in the world we dealt with that traffic for four years. Aaahh, the good ol' days. We are so old!!! (But not too old for a two piece.)

Lost In NC said...

Thanks guys! Some days I just want to pack up and move back where I know the ropes...and the sandwich shops. There are none here.

Sally said...

Um, Daisy, sounds like you need to start your own blog...c'mon, it'll be fun...almost as fun as hiding in the closet and jumping out to scare Norie!

Elyce said...

I think I probably will get around to starting a blog, but I've been sooo swamped! Renee's first birthday party yesterday, Father's Day today, and VBS next week, which I am teaching and on the decoration committee! By July things should settle down, and I'll have time to figure out how to set one up and then keep up on it.